Saturday, June 27, 2009

Does the world owe you?

I want to know why some people think the world or strangers owe them something. I was up playing Mafia Wars - I know it's past 3am - and since Sonya and the boys are asleep I am out on the second floor of the lobby at the hotel we're staying at. A woman walks in and wants to try and get a room for $30. Of course all she has is cash and a sob story. When the guy behind the counter tells her the lowest they can go is $49.99 - she starts in on her story and her tears. Somehow hoping that he will be able to change their policy. I've never seen a more patient man. He has been incredible for the past 30 min. He tried to help her online find something, he dialed numbers to try and get her Credit Card info. He called another hotel in area.
I know this story and forgive me for sounding so cold but after working Night Audit for so many years I have been in his shoes and this is not the front desk person's issue. He is just trying to do his job. She appears to expect him to somehow take care of her.
My reason for writing this blog though is not against her, well I guess part of it is. But it's more a question of do I sometimes act the same way? Do I walk around expecting things of people. I know that sometimes I feel that way about my parents. I feel that I expect things of them that maybe I shouldn't. I know that they like watching my boys but do I ask them to do it too much. Do they really feel that they can say no. Do I at work ask people to cover my phones and then take advantage of it by taking too long a break? Do I take advantage of my wife or expect her to do more than her share around the house?
I'm sure I could go on, but it is late.
My question is do all of us do this to some extent? If you sometimes feel the same please post a comment, please let me know I'm not entirely alone in this. Or if you'd rather, let me know how you really feel.

As a total side note and to show what a heartless person I can be I had to laugh when the lady was talking to the front desk clerk and saying she didn't know how to log into credit card info online. She said, "I'm not just with the 90's."

No comments:

Post a Comment