Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ken Griffey Jr.Image by Keith Allison via Flickr

So I wanted to post a blog about my favorite baseball team, the Seattle Mariners. From what I've watched of the M's so far this season they are preforming up to our expectations and even better than some thought they would do. They are now up to .500 at 34 and 34. Their wins have been dramatic and the losses forgettable enough. They've made so many great memories this year that it's almost become possible to forget about the debacle that was last year.

When the Mariners signed Ken Griffey Jr to a contract in the off season I didn't know if it would be a great year but I knew I would go to see him and take my son with me. We went to the second home game of the year which just happened to be when Griffey Jr hit his first home run back at Safeco field, it was a treat to see.

He hasn't been the Griffey of old, but every blog I read before the season started said that even if he was just a shell of his old self it would be good for the team. That has been so true. He's brought back fun to the club house. He's getting on base even when he doesn't get a hit. He's brought fans, such as myself even before the team started winning.

I and my family will continue to watch and we'll be there long after these players have left, but it's not often you get to see one of the all-time greats come back to a team that you love. It's almost like we are reliving the past. Griffey Jr will someday be inducted into the Hall of Fame and when he is I'll be able to turn to my sons and let them know how great this comeback has been and how they were there to see it.

Go Griffey, Go M's your making us proud to be Mariner fans again.

No comments:

Post a Comment