Friday, January 7, 2011

Perception

I’ve been working on a blog the past couple days that will be for later – but it has to do with perception. I’ll save the majority of my comments for that – but today was a great exercise in getting to know someone. After running from my weight training class to my College Success class I found an open seat next to a girl who also happened to be in my weight training class – I figured if anyone could understand why I wasn’t smelling like a peach it would be her… I did wonder when the guy sitting on the other side of me moved down one seat – oh well.
Anyway the point is that we did the whole get to know you thing where you talk to your neighbor and find out a little about them and then present them to the class. Her name is Gwen – the first thing I noticed though was I turned to her and saw what I thought was a CTR ring – and sure enough it was. Instantly my fear – and yes I’m still afraid of girls – but it was gone. We had a great conversation and got to know each other. I was able to open up and explain about my mission easier and I felt like she understood when I talked about how importantly my family was to me.
Why is it that once you have one thing in common that everything else is so much easier to talk about?
Finding that one thing though can sometimes prove to be difficult, especially for me. I always fear I’m going to say the wrong things or upset somebody. And I really hate to be called out on something that I don’t know everything about; which to me feels like most things. It’s something that I’ll have to work on – and if this first week is any indication – this will be a great time in my life to do it. I’ve done so many things outside of my shell the past 4 days – nothing major for most, but I’m feeling very confident and am really starting to feel that this time will be different.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Greg. That's great you're doing things "outside your shell". The more you do, the easier it will be.
    I also agree that when we find a common connection, all other connections are easier. I remember after 911 how friendly everyone was. I wonder if we (all of us) can find friendly without 911.

    ReplyDelete